Friday, February 1, 2013

First spinning wheel

I am so excited! We did our taxes and I'll be able to buy my first spinning wheel. I have never touched a spinning wheel and I honestly don't know what got in my head to start making my own yarn. Probably the cost of natural fibers or the concept of making something from the very start to finish, or maybe being able to do something so ancient as spinning wool into yarn that has me so focused on learning how to process the fibers fresh off the animal. Not to mention that I am also passing on this knowledge to my two children. Both of my children will sit with me and pick wool and Elizabeth keeps asking me to teach her how to spin with my drop spindle.

So were to start...I had no idea what I was looking for. So I started off on you tube.  Found a few videos about different wheels from some of my favorite video makers. I also went to my spinning group on Ravelry "Spin Love" and asked there. So between a number of you tube videos, my Ravelry group, and also talking with spinning wheel dealer I have decided to go through. I have narrowed it down to 2. 



The Ashford Traveller is thus far my top choice. It seems to be very portable and doesn't seem to take up much room. It seems sturdy enough to last a few years and I haven't heard anything bad about them. It is very hard to really feel 100% sure about something you haven't even used yet. So I found choice #2. 




Quite a few people had a lot of good stuff to say about this one. It is very obvious that this wheel hardly takes up any space. I have heard more than once that this is a good wheel for beginners. But i just don't know. I still need sit at one and try it out. It's strange, I feel like I have spun in a past life.


No comments:

Post a Comment