Thursday, September 20, 2012



I have been anything but idle this last week or so. I have started my new work schedule that will allow me to have 3 days off instead of 2. This awesome job also allows me to work on small projects. You have seen the hemp jewelry in previous posts and the bag that I had planed on making. Well, as you can see I am over half way done with it. I am thinking of changing the handle to be more of a strap; turning it into more of  a purse. I haven't decided yet. 



About 5 years ago when I was really into the idea of quilting, I picked up a bottle of homemade linen spray.  All of the ladies from the local guild, Valley of Plenty Quilters of Emmett, ID were using it when they ironed their quilt blocks. It made them smell so nice. I had been using the one bottle sparingly over the years and had finally run out. Little did I know it costs less than 5 bucks to make around 2 gallons of the stuff. Most of the commercial stuff with all the chemicals cost around the same and you get less. When I did my research I found several ways to make the stuff. People used essence oil or fabric softener for scents. I like the oils because there are so many to choose from without the harsh chemicals. Besides the smells of most fabric softeners make me sneeze and they can be expensive. So here is what you will need:

essence oil of your choice
distilled water
plastic spray bottle
rubbing alcohol, witch hazel, or vodka (optional)

You can make as much as you want, with the scent as strong or weak as you want. I used 5 drops of oil per cup of water. The rubbing alcohol is added (2 tsp per cup of water) and works as an emulsifier making it so the oil and water blend evenly. If you don't have any around or don't want to use it, you will just have to shake your spray bottle every time you use it so the oil and water remix.

I would like to give credit to the website that had the recipe I liked the most during my research. http://www.moneyfunk.net/arts-crafts/how-to-make-a-room-linen-spray/
I haven't had a chance to check out the whole site, but it seems like something that would interest me.

No comments:

Post a Comment